The past two weeks have been extra busy with the book tasks and my first riding show. So I decided to skip wash day last week in part because I was simply exhausted. My relaxer appointment is on Saturday, so I must wash my hair today.
I've been wearing my hair in a low bun (for riding) and haven't detangled my hair in far too long. The combination of loose shed hair and my thick roots are a formula for disaster. Fortunately, I've been able to avoid a setback by doing the following:
- Dry hair is angry hair. To avoid angry hair, I've been keeping my roots and strands heavily moisturized and sealed with a castor/olive oil mix.
- Soften new growth before detangling. Every few days, I sprayed my roots with aloe vera juice, allowed it to sit for a few minutes, then gently finger combed. Last night, I followed up the juice with my castor/olive oil mix.
- Think vertical not horizontal. Most of us probably part and detangle our hair using horizontal parts. That works fine if you have minimal amount of new-growth. However, making vertical parts are best. The strands glide past each other more easily when you make horizontal parts. This in turn minimizes manipulation.
- Finger comb before you use a real comb.Your fingers can feel tangles that the comb will just break through.